Creamy Chickpea and Tahini Casserole
You can substitute any bean, quinoa for rice, add any veggie.
Green chiles, mushrooms, green olives and/or greens are great in this recipe! You can even substitute peanut butter, if you don’t have tahini!
It’s a very forgiving recipe! Experiment with it, have fun!
- 2 (15 -22 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed 3 -4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder ( or equiv. fresh garlic) 1 teaspoon dried oregano ( or equiv. fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil ( or equiv fresh)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried parsley ( or equiv. fresh)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix tahini and water until well mixed (it should get kind of “fluffy”). Set aside.
- Dump the rest of the ingredients into a casserole dish and mix well. (Sometimes it’s easier to mix everything in a large bowl first and then put in the casserole dish.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tahini mixture, stir until well combined.
- Bake at 375°F for approximately 40 minutes, until top begins to brown.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, and bake 5 minutes more. Serve hot!